Canon have announced the US pricing and availability of its new entry level DSLR, the 10 megapixel Canon EOS Rebel XS, which is billed as serving as and affordable ‘digital powerhouse’ bridging camera designed ‘to help photographers cross over from the world of point-and-shoot cameras to digital SLR technology’ and is built around Canon’s much acclaimed DIGIC III processor…..
Canon Inc today announced the introduction of the EOS Rebel XS, a new entry-level digital camera that affordably puts Canon SLR technology such as an Optical Imaged Stabilized lens and easy-to-use professional features into the hands of emerging photographers. Consumers looking to take their photography a step further and begin shooting with an SLR will find the transition easier than ever with Canon’s new Rebel XS digital SLR camera. From the parent photographing a little league game, to the tourist shooting a wondrous new city, the Canon Rebel XS camera makes photography easy for everyone.
Canon has also introduced the latest model in the EX series of Speedlite flashes: the Canon Speedlite 430EX II. Ideal for a wide range of photographers from first-time digital SLR users to veteran photo enthusiasts, the new Canon EOS Rebel XS camera was designed to embody what customers have come to expect from the EOS Rebel series – a fast, non-intimidating, lightweight, easy-to-use camera that produces excellent images and starts emerging photographers off on the right foot. Immediately, photographers will take notice of the camera’s Optical Image Stabilized kit lens for crisp focus, compensating for camera shake from unsteady hands or a moving vehicle.
The new Rebel model also incorporates Canon’s DIGIC III image processor, 10.1 megapixel CMOS sensor, Live View, Auto Lighting Optimizer, 7-point wide-area autofocus (AF) sensor and 3.0 frames per second continuous JPEG burst rate where the number of consecutive shots in a burst is only limited by the capacity of the flash memory card in the camera.
A first in Canon’s EOS line-up, the Rebel XS camera’s continuous JPEG burst rate allows users to continuously shoot a scene until the memory card is at capacity. This will be particularly helpful for new photographers looking to capture that perfect image of a moving subject.
The Live View function allows users to frame and shoot images in real time via the camera’s 2.5 inch LCD screen, a great feature for users accustomed to framing shots via LCD monitors on point-and-shoot digital cameras. The Camera’s Auto Lighting Optimizer detects dark areas of an image and automatically adjusts brightness and contrast to ensure optimal image results. The Canon Rebel XS allows greater ease of use through large control buttons and easy-to-see operating panel indications such as ISO settings visible through the viewfinder and Canon Speedlite controls through the camera LCD menu.
The Rebel XS incorporates an APS-C size (22.2 x 14.8 mm) CMOS sensor with 10.1 million pixel images and Canon’s exclusive high-performance DIGIC III image processor to help deliver high levels of imaging performance and responsiveness. It also has Canon’s exclusive EOS Integrated Cleaning System, which features both hardware and software-based dust removal technology. Additionally, weighing less than 1 lb./450 grams, this camera is the lightest body in the EOS digital series camera lineup.
The EOS Rebel XS camera is compatible with Canon’s extensive lineup of more than 60 EF and EF-S lenses, including the Image Stabilizer-equipped EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, which is included in the camera’s standard zoom lens kit package. The Canon Rebel XS will be available in black or silver colored body variations.
The new Canon Speedlite 430EX II, which succeeds the 430EX, realizes an approximately 20 percent reduction in recycling time compared with its predecessor. Like the 580EX II, the 430EX II allows users to control flash functions and input settings using the camera’s LCD monitor, and also offers a quick-lock attachment system and a metal mounting foot for improved contact reliability and durability. The new Canon Speedlite 430EX II will carry an estimated retail price of $329.99 (~RM1150).
Specifications and Features:
- 10.1-megapixel CMOS sensor.
- JPEG and RAW file formats.
- Canon EF / EF-S lens mount.
- Auto and Manual focus.
- ISO 100-1600.
- 2.5 inch Live View LCD display.
- Lithium-ion battery.
- Maximum Image Size: 3,888×2,592-pixel.
- Focal length multiplier of 1.6x as compared to a 35mm camera.
- TTL optical viewfinder with detailed information display, diopter adjustment, and depth-of-field preview.
- 2.5-inch TFT LCD with 230,000 pixels.
- Shooting Modes: Automatic, Program AE, Shutter & Aperture Priority, Depth-of-Field AE, and Manual exposure.
- Programmed modes: Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Night Portrait, and Flash Off.
- External hot shoe supports E-TTL II metering, FEL, and FP (high speed sync) flash withCanonEX Series Speedlight.
- Flash exposure lock function (FEL).
- Metering: 35-zone Evaluative, Center weighted average metering, or Partial (10%) central-area metering; metering range of EV 1 to 20.
- Auto exposure bracketing.
- Shutter speed: 1/4,000 – 30 seconds, Bulb.
- Image storage SD, SDHC memory cards.
- Live View mode includes two focusing modes: Quick, phase-detect mode, and Live, contrast-detect mode.
- Dust reduction and automatic sensor cleaning.
- Continuous Shooting mode: 54 images at 3 fps (with shutter speeds of 1/250 second or faster).
- Built-in E-TTL II retractable-type flash.
- Topside hot shoe for external flash connection of EX Speedlite flashes.
- E3 remote control socket.
- Red-eye Reduction via pulse flash.
Digital Rebel XS (EOS 1000D) is Canon’s response to the entry-level DSLR competition. Even though it’s a watered-down version of the 450D, the 1000D retains some of its best features: ‘Live View’ previewing, high ISO noise reduction, and including both JPEG and RAW file formats. More affordable than the 450D, the 1000D is another option for first-time DSLR users.
| « Previous
Dell Streak review
| Next »
Motorola i1 PTT Android phone is Available At Boost Mobile Retail Stores