Skype has released Skype 5.3, an update to its Mac software which brings support for OS X Lion and HD Video Calls and the jump to support Lion comes some three weeks after the release of Apple’s latest Mac OS X iteration. Skype reccomends a minimum upload speed of 1.5mB/s to use the HD video calling feature and made official support for Lion should fix some bugs that people have been experiencing. The upgrade to support Lion is a welcome one and although the much-maligned Mac interface has not recieved any significant changes in 5.3 and the HD video calling is also a great upgrade…………
Skype announced the 5.3 update for Mac OS X which brings HD video calls to Lion among a handful of other UI enhancements and bug fixes and the new update is not only available for Lion users, however, Skype’s blog post notes it is also compatible back to Leopard. Get your family and friends together, on screen, at the same time. Hold a face-to-face meeting with colleagues without the travelling. It’s all possible with group video. The latest version of Skype for Mac offers sharper video calls than ever before. If you have an HD webcam, your friends and colleagues will see you in High Definition. If they have the latest version and an HD webcam, you’ll see them in HD too. Show presentations, photos and more by sharing your computer screen with everyone on the call. You stay in control of what they see. Available only with a Skype Premium subscription. If you’re running the Mac’s new operating system, you’ve got no worries about compatibility. Skype 5.3 has been designed to work with OS X Lion. There are lots of shortcuts to help you save time when navigating Skype 5.3 for Mac. The update is available on the Skype Web site and you can grab Skype 5.3 for Mac OS X here.
Send text messages at great Skype rates:
Whether your friends are down the street, in the next town or overseas, send text messages to their mobiles.
Send IMs, too:
Instant message one or more people at the same time for free and send photos, documents and more.
- 1GHz Intel processor
- Mac OS X v10.5.8 (Leopard) or newer.
- 100 MB free disk space.
- Either USB or regular headset if your Mac does not have a built-in microphone.
- Download drivers if you are using an external webcam.
- For voice calls recommend broadband connection with 100 kbps down / 100 kbps up.
- For group video calling everyone on the call needs Skype 5.0 for Windows or Mac or higher plus webcams, and at least one person needs a group video calling subscription. For best quality we recommend you use a high-speed broadband connection of 4Mbps down/512kbps up and a computer with a Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz processor. As a minimum you’ll need a high-speed broad connection of 512kbps down/128kbps up and a computer with a 1 GHz processor.