Griffin, maker of a ton of Apple accessories just released a universal remote system for iOS devices, connects to iOS devices over Bluetooth (via a free Universal Remote app) and then beams the app’s remote control actions over IR. It works with TVs, cable boxes and a slew of other devices for $80. Beacon Universal Remote Control System is a new Wi-Fi AV controller and uses can now customize their entire home entertainment system with the help of a single pocket-sized tool……….
Griffin Technology partnered with software developer Dijit to create Beacon, turns an iOS or smartphone device into a handy, easy-to-use remote for home entertainment systems by converting Bluetooth signals from your device to the infrared commands your components are expecting. Beacon pairs your iOS device or smartphone with Dijit’s Universal Remote App. There are no bulky cases or dongles, no messy wires or cables. Setup and pairing is simple. Paired with Beacon via Bluetooth, your smartphone is just a few taps away from using Dijit’s intuitive Programming Guide. Your Multi-Touch or touch screen display is the remote. You can change channels, volume, input, program your DVR and lots, lots more. The Dijit app uses a constantly updated device code library to make setting up controls for your TV, set-top box, sound system, media players and more simple and intuitive. For components not yet included in Dijit’s library, the app also includes an integrated learning feature. Beacon costs $79.99. Beacon is currently out of stock on Griffin‘s site but is available at Apple retail stores.
- Wireless universal audio/video controller for iOS and other smartphone platforms
- Low-profile component designed to blend unobtrusively with any decor on your coffee table
- Use your iOS or smartphone device as a powerful universal remote control, without dongles or cases
- Converts Bluetooth signals from your iOS or smartphone device to infrared signals required to control AV components
- For use with Dijit’s Universal Remote app, a free download from the App Store
- No wires or power cables; runs up to two months on 4 AA batteries