BlackBerry PlayBook gets updated with new power menu, better Facebook app and there are a few other welcome changes, including some enterprise-friendly tweaks to video chat, a new pop-up power menu, and the ability to charge even when the device is turned off………
A new BlackBerry Tablet OS update is now available and in addition being available on the BlackBerry App World storefront, the first tablet-optimized Facebook application will come preloaded within BlackBerry Tablet OS v1.0.5. The Facebook for BlackBerry PlayBook tablet app has been updated to include video uploading, Message deletion, Facebook Search enhancements and more. The BlackBerry App World storefront now enables BlackBerry PlayBook applications with in-app payment support. Whether it’s buying another level in a game, or a new edition of a magazine, in-app payment support means dynamic possibilities for BlackBerry PlayBook applications and better apps for users. BlackBerry Tablet OS v1.0.5 include the following:
- In-Apps Payment Support
- Charging and Battery Pop-up (charging when powered off)
- Additional Language Support:
- Video Chat Connectivity
- Wi-Fi Hotspot Detection
- Headset Audio Boost
BlackBerry PlayBook Charging and Battery Pop-up:
- The BlackBerry PlayBook tablet can now be charged even when fully powered down.
- BlackBerry Tablet OS v1.0.5 now alerts you if you are using an incorrect charger with your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet. For example, if you accidentally plug a BlackBerry smartphone charger into the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet you will now receive an alert on the screen to let you know that this charger will not charge your tablet.
- After touching the battery indicator on the top right corner of the home screen, a pop-up will appear and you can now choose to restart the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, turn it off, or put it into standby mode. You can also adjust the screen brightness from this same pop-up.
Additional Language Support:
- BlackBerry Tablet OS v1.0.5 added support for the following languages: French, Italian, Dutch, German, Spanish, and UK English.
Video Chat Connectivity:
- The OS added support for the TURN (Traversal Using Relay NAT) protocol, which enhances Video Chat connections between users when their call is crossing between a public network and an enterprise network behind a firewall.
Wi-Fi Hotspot Detection:
- Automatic Wi-Fi hotspot detection in the BlackBerry Tablet OS v1.0.5 makes it easier to connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot (at a coffee shop or airport, for example) during the set up process.
Headset Audio Boost:
- This new option allows you to add an extra level of volume to help maintain an enjoyable audio experience with your headset in noisier areas, such as airplanes.
How to upgrade to BlackBerry Tablet OS v1.0.5:
Users who purchase and activate a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet on or after Tuesday, June 7th, 2011 will be automatically updated to v1.0.5 as part of the BlackBerry PlayBook setup process. Existing BlackBerry PlayBook users will be presented with a software update notification on the BlackBerry PlayBook status ribbon, or they can go check for the software update at any time in the Settings Menu under Software Updates.