Amazon today where the current Gold Box Deal of the Day is the ViewSonic gTablet. For the mere sum of $279 you can now get a pretty good Android 2.2 tablet, the Viewsonic G-Tablet, courtesy of Amazon.
The Viewsonic G-Tablet is the first dual-core Tegra 2 tablet to launch. It features Android 2.2 with a custom UI over the top of it. It has a huge following on XDA forums because it was the first dual-core tablet to be released. It is a great device for someone looking for a cheaper tablet, or can’t afford the expensive Motorola Xoom .
For this sub-$300 price tag, you get the following:
* 10.1? TFT-LCD with 1024×600 resolution (Xoom has a 10.1-inch display at 1280×800)
* 1GHz NVIDIA Tegra 2, Dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU
* 16GB internal memory, expansion up to 32GB via microSD Card
* 512MB DDR RAM (XOOM has 1 GB of RAM)
* Front-facing camera for video chat
* Google Android 2.2 Froyo OS (Xoom has Honeycomb 3.0)
* 1080p HD video playback
* WiFi (B/G/N)
* Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
* USB & Mini USB ports
* 3.5mm headphone jack
* Built-in 2 x 1-watt stereo speakers
* Port for optional HDMI dock
Though its hardware is impressive, the gTablet is limited by a custom ViewSonic UI that slows the device down in our tests. Thankfully, there is an active hacker community that has developed several custom ROMs which improve the overall performance of the tablet device. These ROMs bring the gTablet from an unusable device that was temporarily pulled from the shelves to worthy Android tablet perfect for those who like to flash ROMs and muck around with a device.
So if you are hacker or want to enter the hacking scene and just can’t cough up the $600 for a WiFi Xoom, then head on over to Amazon’s Gold Box page This sale at Amazon will continue while supplies last so do not dilly dally if you want to snag the gTablet at its sub$300.