Vonage is a publicly-held commercial voice over IP (VoIP) network and SIP company that provides telephone service via a broadband connection. The company’s name is a play on their motto “Voice-Over-Net-AGE”.
Vonage announced the Vonage Mobile application for Facebook. The new app will allow users to, “make free mobile calls to all of their Facebook friends who [also] have the app [installed], anywhere in the world, directly from their friends list, with a single touch.” The application is currently available for the Android and iPhone platforms, works on Wi-Fi as well as 3G/4G, and — obviously — requires a Facebook account. The Vonage Mobile app will automatically import and categorize your Facebook friends-list by who is available for voice calls versus text chat.
The downloadable application is free to get and free to use. The new service enhances the ability to connect with Facebook friends through the addition of voice calling. It is available for iPhone, iPod touch and Android devices. And the service works over Wi-Fi and 3G /4G networks in most countries.
The new service is easy to use. The app works with a user’s existing community of Facebook friends, so there’s no need to remember screen names or to input numbers. The application eliminates dialing – users can just click on a friend and start talking. When placing a call, the friend’s profile picture and status update display on the screen.
“The Vonage Mobile app for Facebook is a tangible example of our commitment to deliver extraordinary value and a better communications experience for individuals and their social networks, across broadband-enabled devices, around the world,” said Marc Lefar, Chief Executive Officer of Vonage Holdings Corp. “This is just the start. In the future we will expand on this service to include a wide range of integrated voice and messaging services that change the way people communicate.”
How does the Vonage Mobile Application for Facebook work?
The Vonage Mobile application is simple. It’s simple to download, and so simple to use that we have eliminated the need for dialing altogether. To get started, the user:
* Downloads the app from the iTunes Store, Android Market, the Vonage fan page on Facebook or vonage.com/talkfree.
* Enters Facebook ID and password (one time only).
* Views Facebook contacts after they are automatically loaded. They’ll be grouped by friends who can be called for free and friends available for instant messaging on Facebook. A Vonage logo will appear next to the names of friends who have downloaded the app.
* Invites additional Facebook friends to get the app at the Vonage Fan Page on Facebook or vonage.com/talkfree.
* Touches a friend’s name from the Call Free list to make a free call anywhere in the world; no need to be online.
* Rings the phone for incoming calls, even if the application is closed.
This new service continues Vonage’s commitment to be the leader in low-cost communication services that connect individuals and social networks through any broadband device, worldwide. The application can be downloaded from the Android Market in 48 countries and from the iTunes Store in 87 countries. Users who don’t have an unlimited data plan should check with their carrier to see if any charges apply.