OnStar, the company manufacture some different all-in-one car accessory, is now working with General Motors. During the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show as “OnStar Anywhere” will officially launched. The OnStar FMV Mirrors provides the company’s popular blue button technology for about 90 million automobiles. That’s means a lot of users for those cars are taking the benefits of features like automatic crash response, turn-by-turn navigation and hands-free calling.
The OnStar FMV is not exactly cheap, but not particularly affordable, either, given the fact that it sells for somewhere in the vicinity of $299, here users also have to add an extra 100 US dollars for the installation, with the cost of the service plan, ranging from 18.95 a month to $199 a year. Checkout the press release bellow for more.
OnStar FMV to Hit Best Buy® Store Shelves July 24
Pre-orders for ‘blue button’ safety, security mirror accepted nationwide
DETROIT and MINNEAPOLIS – OnStar FMV, the first out-of-the-box application of OnStar’s “blue button” automotive safety and security services that can work on 90 million older vehicles, goes on sale July 24 and can be preordered at Best Buy stores nationwide.
Packing OnStar’s industry leading technology into a rearview mirror, OnStar FMV (For My Vehicle) sells for $299.99, plus $75 for installation. Service plans for OnStar FMV start at $18.95 a month, or $199 a year.
“The wait is over,” said OnStar President Linda Marshall. “Since we announced OnStar FMV at the Consumer Electronics Show in January, thousands of people have signed up to be notified when this innovative product is ready to buy. Now, through Best Buy, they can enhance their Fords, Toyotas, Chryslers and other brands with the power of OnStar.”
As OnStar’s strategic retail partner for OnStar FMV, Best Buy offers on-site installation through its network of more than 1,000 auto bays nationwide staffed by more than 1,400 Mobile Electronics Certified Professionals at Best Buy, including nearly half of the 194 MECP Master installers in the world. More than 90 percent of surveyed Best Buy customers said their auto installation was “done right the first time.”
“Best Buy is always looking for ways to help consumers stay connected through technology in their everyday lives. This includes in their cars,” said Lisa Farrell, senior vice president and general manager of portable electronics at Best Buy. “We are proud to be the first to bring the OnStar FMV product to consumers nationwide and serve as a one-stop destination for purchase and installation.”
OnStar FMV provides the same core features as the OnStar service built into new Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles from General Motors:
* Automatic Crash Response, triggered by an accelerometer in the unit, connects the vehicle to a trained OnStar emergency advisor in the event of a crash. The advisor can provide the exact location of the crash to emergency responders using the mirror’s GPS location, even if the vehicle’s occupants are unable to respond.
* Turn-by-Turn Navigation, OnStar’s most-popular service with 1.9 million requests a month is accessible with a press of the blue button. The driver asks the advisor for directions for a specific address or location, such as a gas station or restaurant. Directions are downloaded to OnStar FMV, which provides spoken turn-by-turn instructions to the destination.
* Hands-Free Calling is available through the OnStar service itself or through a Bluetooth connection to a mobile phone. An external microphone, which is tucked neatly into the roofline or above the overhead console, gives the best-possible voice quality while drivers keeps their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.
* Stolen Vehicle Location Assistance uses OnStar FMV’s global positioning satellite system to provide a stolen vehicle’s location to law enforcement officials.
* Emergency Services, summoned by pushing the red button, bring specially trained emergency advisors on the line immediately to help in a crisis, such as witnessing a collision or a crime in progress.
* Roadside Assistance for non-emergency situations, such as a mechanical breakdown or a flat tire, is a blue-button push away.
Other retailers now offering or soon to offer OnStar FMV include Car Toys, Crutchfield, Fry’s Electronics, Al & Ed’s Autosound and P.C. Richard & Son.
Customers can find out if OnStar FMV is compatible with their vehicle through an online Vehicle Selector. More information is available through Best Buy or OnStar.com.