There is good news for Zune HD users,zuneboard developer hacks Windows CE by Liberate for Zune HD.Microsoft Windows embedded CE 6.0 shared source license is now hacked by Liberate and unlocks hidden Windows CE potential….
Liberate is an OpenZDK application by Netrix of our ZuneBoards Development Front, that basically allowing you to run Windows CE applications (and some Windows Mobile applications). Liberate works by shutting down the interface of the Zune HD which allows direct access to the Windows CE Explorer. Users can add their own files through the separate File Deployer.This app liberates your Zune HD’s display to allow you to run applications and games that render using GDI, DirectDraw or OpenGL ES 2.0. However, many things will not work without adding additional libraries that they need in order to run.
Anything that was made to work on Windows CE devices (StrongARM or ARM CPU) has a chance of working. If it was made for MIPS or SH3/SH4, it will definitely not work. Also, Windows Mobile software might work, but has a much lower chance of working.Users can use the File Deployer to deploy their own files to use with Liberate. Just add your files to the Content folder and deploy. Your files will be deployed to /Flash2/Files. A shortcut to that folder will appear on the Liberate desktop after running File Deployer, however rebooting will cause the shortcut to disappear. Your files will stay in /Flash2/Files and you will still be able to access them by double-tapping “My Device”, “Flash2”, then “Files”.
Developers could create OpenZDK games/apps (or port existing software) that use GDI or OpenGL ES 2.0 andcreate a shortcut in Start -> Programs so users could run this app, then launch software through the Start menu.
What’s New :
- Fixing of Wi-Fi timeout.
- Backing up of Start menu shortcuts.
- Backing up of apps’ Registry entries.
- More options for right-clicking
- CABs should now not be deleted.
- Added keyboard support and included JOTKBD (on-screen keyboard). However, any non-SIP keyboard should work.
- Rotating the screen is a lot faster when plugged in or not.
- Any CABs can now be installed by double-tapping them.
- Two touches cause the next single touch to be a right-click. Three touches disable/enable this functionality.
Steps to install Liberate v1.5.1 On Zune HD :
- Download Liberate v1.5.1 or File Deployer v1.0.1.
- Install them to a folder on /Flash2, otherwise the files will disappear after rebooting and they might not even install properly.
- If it says there is not enough space, click “no” and install it anyway. If it says that it is not compatible (but the program is supposed to be compatible with ARM), install it anyway
- If it says that it is “not a valid Windows CE setup file”, that probably because it is compressed. In that case, you would need to find one that is not compressed, or try extracting the files with MSCEInf and see if they work.