FBI took down MegaUpload in past January and arrested 38-year old Kim Dotcom, the founder of MegaUpload, for copyright infringement and piracy charges. Since then, Dotcom has been fighting desperately to prove himself innocent. And now it seems he has got some solid points for which he says “We’ve Hit The Jackpot.”
The story began in 2010. That year Department of Homeland Security issued a search warrant on Mr Dotcom’s file-sharing company MegaUpload during an investigation on NinjaVideo, which had used MegaUpload’s cloud storage to store 39 pirated movies. In January 2012, FBI brought copyright infringement and piracy charges against MegaUpload, shut the MegaUpload down and arrested MegaUpload founder Kim Dotcom. The irony is, the charges brought against Dotcom included infringement claims on the files the U.S. authorities once ordered to preserve on MegaUpload servers.
Dotcom said that MegaUpload had been co-operating with the U.S. Government investigation on NinjaVideo. He also mentioned that MegaUpload was legally unable to delete the 39 movies (he was talking about the year 2010). Mr Dotcom said, “We were informed by (the US Government) we were not to interfere with the investigation. We completely co-operated. Then the FBI used the fact the files were still in the account of the … user to get the warrant to seize our own domains. This is outrageous.”
When Dotcom wanted to see the allegation evidences, FBI refused to show him. Later on, the New Zealand court ordered FBI to show Kim Dotcom and his lawyer the allegation evidences. After seeing the allegation evidences, Doctom found the jackpot. Mr Dotcom found the application to seize the domain names of MegaUpload’s, made on January 13, 2012, did not state the earlier search warrant issued against MegaUpload. The interesting thing is the Department of Homeland Security application rather sought the help of MegaUpload to track down files of interest in its investigation of NinjaVideo. And with the help of MegaUpload, NinjaVideo and a range of other sites were shutdown without warning. Special Agent William Engel stated that the data storage company Carpathia “will work with its customer MegaUpload to access content to provide in response to the search warrant”.
Ira Rothken, Dotcom’s US-based lawyer, said that the discovery of the FBI’s evidence of wrongdoing was part of a “trail of misconduct” stretching from the US to New Zealand, which would ultimately lead to asking for the FBI charges to be dismissed. He also said that he would ask the US court to return the MegaUpload websites. He clearly said, “What we have uncovered, in our view, is misleading conduct. It looks like the Government wants the confidentiality because they would be concerned their conduct would be scrutinized.”
It seems like the case is going towards a new direction. Do you think this point would be strong enough for Kim Dotcom to revive his beloved website MegaUpload? Share your thoughts with us.
Source : The New Zealand Herald