Google has already unveiled the next generation Android platform along with the Nexus S.One of the most conspicuous features about the upcoming Android version is its new-look keyboard.If you want to install this new Android keyboard on your older machines, then follow the instructions below.
This guide goes through the process of installing Android 2.3 Gingerbread‘s new keyboard (same one on the Nexus S) on an Android 2.2 Froyo running device.
* MAKE A BACKUP FIRST!
* Should work on ALL rooted 2.2 Android devices.
* Droid X and 2 users, see note after instructions. (Some DX users are seeing miniature versions. Again, MAKE A BACKUP.)
* Won’t work on 2.1. You need the newest Voice Search app from the market.
* Good idea to make a back up of your LatinIME.apk from your /system/app folder in case something goes wrong.
* Device must have root priveleges with Superuser
* Android 2.2 Froyo operating system
* Deodexed ROM
* The latest “Voice Search” application from the Android Market
* Make a backup of LatinIME.apk in system/app folder just in case!
* Clockwork Mod Recovery
o Go to the Market and download Rom Manager to install CWM Recovery
If you are already rooted and have taken care of the warnings, then follow these steps below.
Step 1: Create a backup of your phone.
Step 2: Download the keyboard .zip file and save it to your computer.
Step 3: Plug your phone to the computer.
Step 4: Copy the downloaded file on to the root of your SD card and install it in the same way you would install themes
Step 5: If you are a user of Droid X or Droid 2, then navigate to Clockwork -> Mounts and Storage -> Mount System and then back to install the ZIP file from your SD card
Step 6: Reboot your Android phone. Under the Input method, select Android Keyboard.
The new Android 2.3 keyboard is an excellent piece of work. It is nice and compact and doesn’t dominate your screen. The push-hold numbers at the top row are a brilliant, nice feature. And, it looks awfully good with the new darker styling.
Check out the video below for a Android 2.3 keyboard demo.
Click On Ads To Buy Android Phones
| « Previous |
LG LU3000 Goes Official
| Next » |
Rumour:iOS 4.3 Rolling Out This Thursday