The Amazing Spider-Man, directed by Marc Webb, is one of the most anticipated movies released on this year. Based on the movie, game publisher Activision launched a third-person open-world action-adventure video game with the same title; tied-in to an original story-line following the after events of the film. The game has already released this June on multiple platforms including PS3, Wii, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, Android and iOs. The PC version of the game will be released in August 10, 2012.
The game’s storyline is epilogue to the film – The Amazing Spider-Man. In the game players will take control of Peter Parker alias Spider-Man find some evidences against Alistair Smythe – nanotech genius, and the new Executive of Oscorp, planning to create more cross-species experiments based on Dr. Connor’s aka the Lizard’s research. However, when Spider-Man goes to investigate in Oscorp the cross- species accidentally escape and create chaos in the city. Alistair Smythe develops a large group of robots called S-Bots to fight with cross-species, which causes more harm to the New York city than good. Now it is up to Spider-Man to set things right. He will fight cross-species along with robots and various notorious villains including Rhino, Iguana, Black Cat, Vermin and Scorpion.
Voice Casts of Major Characters
- Spider-Man / Peter Parker: Sam Riegel
- Gwen Stacy: Kari Wahlgren
- Lizard / Dr. Curt Connors, Vermin: Steven Blum
- Black Cat / Felicia Hardy: Ali Hillis
- Alistaire Smythe: Nolan North
- Rhino: Fred Tatasciore
- The graphics quality of the game is really commendable. There are lots of fine works in environment detailing.
- The character 3D modelling is completely based on the film. The use of reality based motion capture and game engine make the characters more fluid, dynamic and unique in style.
- Players can collect full version of vintage comic series as they progress into the game. The comics will be stashed into the game as collectible items throughout different levels of the game.
- The game features only single–player mode.
- The game will feature a unique system of damaging Spider-Man suit during combat. However, the damages can be repaired when Spider-Man returns to his Hub – Peter’s Apartment.
- Several alternate costumes can be unlocked by finding different spider symbols in certain parts of New York and taking photos of them, such as “Big Time” Spider-Man, Scarlet Spider (Kaine), a color-inverted version of the Future Foundation costume, the Sam Former Spider-Man trilogy red and blue suit and the Spider-Man 3 black suit, a new version of the black suit and a party hat for Spidey’s 50th anniversary.
- There are also several in-game references to characters of other franchises; such as Batman, TMNT; even biblical references like David and Goliath.
The game-plays The Amazing Spider-Man varies on different platforms, which involve different styles of approach, combat system, open or closed world, linear or complex game plots and so on.
For PC, PS3 and Xbox 360, the game features open world and free roaming style; with a unique combat system consisting of a very fluid blocking and counter attack system, taken as a cue from the original game-play of Batman Arkham game series, developed by Rocksteady Studio. A new element has been included in the game called Web Rush that slows down time while Spider-Man aims his target to attack.
For Wii and Nintendo 3DS, the game-play drives towards a closed world and Forced Unleashed style of playing. The Hub serves as the HQ and Spider-Man can use mission maps and select according to player’s choice. The game level design is much simpler than PC or PS3 version. Nintendo 3DS version also has a game mode called Vigilante, which make the game to run as Role playing (RPG) styled context based game that requires finding enough XP points to proceed into further missions.
Development and Release
At the 2011 New York Comic Con, The Amazing Spider-Man game was first announced. The PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 versions are developed by the former Spider-Man Franchise developer Beenox. However, The Nintendo DS version of the game has been developed by Other Ocean interactive. Gameloft was the in–charge of the game development for Androids and iOS. All versions have been, and to be, published by Activision. The game scored 7.5 out of 10 in Gamespot ranking after release. Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo DS and Wii released the game on June 26, 2012 in USA and June 29, 2012 in Europe. The iOS and Android versions were released on June 28, 2012. The release of the game in Microsoft Windows will be on August 10, 2012.