Teen Burned As iPhone Explodes And Catches Fire In Her Pocket

Smartphones may be the most essential gadgets for our lifestyle today but it can also be dangerous. A teenager in Maine recently has placed her iPhone in her back pocket when it exploded with a pop sound and caught fire.


The incident took place in the Middle School of the Kennebunks in Maine. Apparently, it was the earliest classes of the day and the clock struck 7:40 a.m. when the said teenager took her seat in the class. According to her, a few moments later she heard a pop sound from her back pocket, which was where the iPhone was tucked.

Immediately after the pop sound, the iPhone in her back pocket caught fire and fell to the ground in an attempt to put out the fire. A teacher who was nearby rushed to her with a blanket and together with the help of other students, the said teenager was put out of any serious harm’s way.

According to Jeff Rodman, the principal at the school, “It was something that I don’t think people had ever seen before. I’ve never seen anything like that.” Later on, when emergency services reached the scene, their initial investigations revealed that the phone’s battery had probably ‘shorted out’ and caused the fire.

Division chief of the local emergency medical services also said that the phone may have been damaged and crushed when the teen sat down and that could have, very possibly, led to the shorting out of the battery and causing fire.

Courtesy: CNET

[ttjad keyword=”iphone”]


Salman Latif is a software engineer with a specific interest in social media, big data and real-world solutions using the two.Other than that, he is a bit of a gypsy. He also writes in his own blog. You can find him on Google+ and Twitter .

Leave a Reply