By now most people have heard that a strong earthquake struck Chile yesterday (February 27). Although the death toll and damage is not expected to be anywhere near the level of the Haiti earthquake, but the people of Chile can still use your help to rebuild their homes and their infrastructure. For those who want to donate to the relief effort, the following is a list of web sites where to can give for humanitarian aid and reconstruction efforts.
Text Your Support
As with the Haitian relief efforts, the Mobile Giving Foundation has launched a text messaging campaign for micro donations, and the four major U.S. mobile carriers, Verizon, At&T, Sprint, and T-mobile, have waived text messaging fees for donations.
To text your support:
1. Text the word “CHILE” to 25383 to donate $10 on behalf of the Habitat for Humanity
2. Text the word “CHILE” to 20222 to donate $10 on behalf of World Vision
3. Text the word “CHILE” to 52000 to donate $10 on behalf of the Salvation Army
4. Text the word “CHILE” to 90999 to donate $10 on behalf of the American Red Cross
Direct Donations Online
If you want to donate a larger amount directly to a non-profit of choice, consider these organizations that have active relief efforts underway.
1. American Red Cross – the American Red Cross International Response Fund helps victims of crises such as the Chile and Haiti earthquakes. If you wish to designate your funds to a specific crisis, you’ll need to mail in your donation.
2. Americares – funds go exclusively to the Chilean earthquake (and tsunami relief, should further tragedies occur)
4. World Vision Disaster Response Fund – your money goes towards relief efforts for global disasters worldwide (not Chile specifically).