Before we delve further into all of the huge announcements from today’s opening session at Google I/O 2011, we thought it might be smart to quickly outline some the bigger announcements. As expected today was “Android” day at Google I/O and the bulk of announcements today were all Android orientated. Google has shown that they are ready to take the crown from Apple, today some big new Android features and announcements definitely solidifies that fact.
- Over 100M Android devices activated worldwide with 400K activations added every day
- Google updates Honeycomb to 3.1: Motorola Xoom already receiving the update
- Google previews Ice Cream Sandwich; the new version of Android to combine both Honeycomb (3.0) and Gingerbread (2.3) to run on all Android powered devices big and small
- Google has added movie rentals to the Android Market
- Google TV getting Android 3.1 with Android Market this Summer; Big names still on-board (Sony, Logitech, Vizio, Samsung,etc.)
- Goolge introduces new Music Beta: Stream 20,000 songs to Android devices and PC’s.
- Google gives over 5000 I/O attendees brand new Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, before it even hits store shelves
- Google Partners with all four major U.S carriers and top OEMs including HTC, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, LG and Motorola to guarantee timely Android updates for now on
Stay tuned to thetechjournal while we slowly breakdown all of today’s major announcements from Google I/O.