KickStarter has popped up times and again on the tech horizon during 2012. The funds crowdsourcing website has been an immense hit with the online audience and its projects have garnered massive support. It has now rolled out impressive statistics regarding its projects and the amount of pledges it attracted during the last year.
According to KickStarter:
- 2,241,475 people pledged their support, through funds, to KickStarter projects.
- A total of whopping $319,786,626 funds were pledged, in all, during 2012.
- These funds were pledged to a total of 18,109 projects, showing how central KickStarter has become to the launch of new products, ideas and technologies.
- Of all the people that pledged their funds for KickStarter projects, 570,672 backed at least two or more people. What’s even more astonishing is that nearly 50,047 people backed ten or more KickStarter projects. 452 people 100 or more projects. This goes on to show that the website has, since its inception, amassed a dedicated faction of users who keep an eye on up and coming KickStarter projects and actively back them.
- Although the ability to showcase projects is still limited to U.S. and few other regions, the KickStarter projects were able to attract pledges from 177 countries in the world, showing that it is now a global phenomenon.
- A somewhat surprising bit of information is that whereas we have often highlighted awesome tech projects on the website, it were the music projects who gained most funding. During 2012 alone, 5067 music projects were funded through the website. In terms of funding, the games category took the lead by garnerning $83 million worth of pledges.
- There were many big-time hits on the website. A total of 17 projects were able to raise $1 million or more during 2012.
The brief presentation by the website goes on to show how KickStarter has indeed entered the mainstream media, being mentioned and highlighted in various media sources as well as by many companies. Many projects which were backed on the website became massive hits globally.
KickStarter has emerged as an alternate funding model for projects ranging from music to movies to games, consoles, gadgets and a lot more. It is truly heart-rendering to note that the it has enabled so many prospecting entrepreneurs to gather required funds to launch their projects.