XDA-Developers have added another hack success to their repertoire with the rooting of Motorola Defy.The step by step process will grant you superuser access to the ruggedized Android handset, and though it looks simple enough, you’ll have to be careful that all the necessary text is entered-in just as it should be.
Debuting November 3rd on T-Mobile and running Google Android 2.1, Motorola Defy allured with its ruggedness and lived upto its name from defying upto 3 feet water and working fine in sandstorm to putting up with clumsiness in case it got dropped or slipped thanks to its 3.5″ gorilla glass touchscreen guaranteed scratchproof. Though its 800 Mhz CPU is not as impressive, its 1540 mAh Li-Ion battery seems decent to last one full day.
The steps are as follows:
1. Go to settings—> Applications—> Development—> Check “USB Debugging” option.
2. Connect your Motorola Defy to your computer using USB cable.
3. Download Rooting.Zip on to desktop and unzip it’s content.
4. Launch ADB and push the downloaded files to phone. If you are not good in command lines, you may use ADB Gui tool for Windows that lets you automate these commands.
adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
adb push su /sdcard/su
adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox
adb push exploit.bin /data/local/tmp/exploit.bin
5. Go to Phone’s internal shell using ADB
6. Take advantage of fake root exploit:
chmod 0755 exploit.bin
7. Now you should be back to normal console. Reconnect again. You should now have root permissions. (# will be displayed instead of $)
8. Mount the /system partition as writable and copy files with permissions using commands below:
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox
chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
9. Restart your Motorola Defy device. It should be rooted. You can confirm it by installing any app that needs root access.