A new Revolutionary War app to remind us why we’re celebrating July 4th. 150 years after the start of the American Civil War, HISTORY presents The Civil War Today, a ground-breaking app created by Bottle Rocket Apps exclusively for the iPad. Experience the war as it unfolded, one day at a time, with daily updates that let you live the events in “real-time” over the course of four years.
The Civil War Today includes:
• Daily Civil War updates from April 12, 2011 through April 26, 2015. The app content updates ONE DAY AT A TIME, precisely mirroring the events of 150 years ago
• “In the Headlines” featuring newspapers from every day of the war.
• Running tallies of the North and South casualty counts.
• “A Day in the Life” with personal letters and diary entries from 15 individuals including Abraham Lincoln, Horatio Nelson Taft, and Mary Boykin Miller Chesnut.
• Photo of the day and photo galleries.
• Quote of the day.
• Articles and video on featured topics.
• Authentic period maps from key battlegrounds.
• Daily North-South quiz.
• Detailed background scenes that put you in the time and place of the Civil War. (Northern city, Southern plantation, Western frontier town, military camp).
• Twitter integration to send a telegram via morse code.
• GameCenter integration to earn Civil War era appropriate achievements – and display them in a virtual medals case.
• Airplay integration for viewing of app video via Apple TV.
• Advanced multi-finger gesture functionality and custom toolbar for deep navigation.
This app is developed and produced by Multieducator, is aimed to educate students about the American Revolution, citing a New York Times report about just how bad U.S. students are when it comes to history tests.
This War app does have plenty of information about major players and battles, detailed maps and even some myths, which might prove fun for sharing around a campfire.
The Revolutionary War app is available to download from the iTunes App Store for the iPad (and the iPhone and iPod touch) for $4.99 now.