This is a complete guideline for those who want to jailbreak iPhone 3GS 4.0.1 with PwnageTool.This bundle is meant for iPhone 3GS with old bootrom only. Those of you who are with new bootrom will have to wait for Comex’s new Spirit like jailbreak tool which should be released real soon.
* PwnageTool bundles used in this guide are unofficial (NOT from iPhone Dev-Team)
* iPhone 3GS OLD Bootrom only.
* iPhone 3GS MUST already be jailbroken.
* This also hacktivated iPhone 3GS
* Your baseband will be preserved!
* After jailbreak, you can unlock iPhone 3GS with UltraSn0w 0.93.
* Mac OS X only.
Disclaimer: Please try your own risk. We can NOT be held responsible if anything goes wrong.
Jailbreak iPhone 3GS 4.0.1 (OLD BOOTROM)
Download all the stuff linked above, create a folder “JB” on your desktop and put all the files into JB folder after extracting. Folder should look like this:
STEP 1: Open the Terminal.app in your Mac and execute the following commands:
* cd /Users/USERNAME/Desktop/JB
* ls -al
* mv iPhone2,1_4.0.1_8A306.bundle PwnageTool.app/Contents/Resources/FirmwareBundles/
See the screenshot below.
Ok. You’ve added the custom bundle to PwnageTool.app.
STEP 2: Now create a custom firmware 4.0.1 using the PwnageTool.app in the JB folder. Follow the step by step instruction in the guide linked below to create custom iOS 4.0.1 firmware. Make sure you select iOS 4.0.1 when PwnageTool asks for it. Then restore via iTunes.
Thanks to iphoneheat , redmondpie