Panasonic is jumping in on the Android eReader game with the announcement of a new slate-style device called Raboo and the device has more in common with the Nook Color than a traditional tablet. This Android-based e-book reader features Android 2.2, a 7-inch 1024×600 display, 8GB of internal memory and 1.3MP web cam and also sports slots microSD/SDHC compatibility and a USB port. This device don’t have the support of Android Market and those in Japan can pick it up for the equivalent of $445 US starting August 10th………….
Panasonic showcased an Android-based e-book reader/tablet hybrid during an exhibition in Tokyo and now Panasonic Raboo UT-PB1 e-reader gets official. Schedule to be launched August 10 in Japan at around 34,800 Yen, the Raboo is comes with a 7-inch 1024×600 color touchscreen, a Dual Core CPU (No details on the exact Chipset/CPU), comes with 8GB of internal memory with only 4.5GB available to users, Wi-Fi BGN, Bluetooth, a 1.3Mpix Camera and microSDHC Support. While the Raboo is running Android you will not have access to Google OS directly and will be stuck with Panasonic UI and limited to read XMDF ebboks as well as access to Rakuten E-Book Store but will be also capable to access to some contents available on your Viera TV or directly on your microSDHC Card like H.264, MPEG-4 or WMV movies/videos in Full HD. The Raboo (Rakuten Book) is also compatible with AAC, MP3 and WMA files.
- Browser (you can browse the Web on the Internet. Compatible with Adobe Flash)
- E-mail (send and receive E-mail)
- Gallery (photos and videos to play the internal memory or SD card)
- Camera (you can shoot videos and photos)
- Music (play the music on the SD card or internal memory).
- Voice recorder (can record audio)
- Calendar (enter appointments, you can manage your schedule)
- Calculator (can be used as a calculator).
- Clock (Display the clock. You can also set the alarm).
- Remote DIGA (Panasonic recorder can operate the connected LAN)
- VIERA remote (you can operate a Panasonic television connected LAN)
- Adobe Reader (to view PDF files)
- radiko.jp (through the Internet and connect to the web sites to deliver radio)
- Weather Widget (displays weather information via the Internet)
- Transit (Display the routing information through the Internet using public transportation)
- Electronic Edition Nikkei (Nihon Keizai Shimbun download an electronic version of the show).
- Android 2.2 OS
- no access to the Android Market (16 apps pre-installed)
- 7-inch LCD screen with 1,024×600 resolution
- XMDF file support
- 8GB internal memory
- microSDHC/SDHC card slots, USB port (no HDMI)
- IEEE 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi
- Bluetooth 2.1+EDR
- 1.3MP web cam
- 500mW×2ch speakers
- DIGA/VIERA link
- battery life up to 6 hours (10.5 hours for music only)
- size: 206×133×13.9mm, weight: 400g