A new application was recently developed for rooted Android smartphones to allow individuals to control their Android smartphone with with a PS3 controller called Sixaxis Controller App and you have do just little for use PS3 DualShock 3 controller to play games on android device, grab your DualShock 3 controller, your Android smartphone and the Sixaxis Controller App from the Android Market. Sixaxis controller will not supported to all device, therefore it is strongly recommended that you try the Sixaxis Compatibility Checker (available for free in the Android Market) before purchasing this app……………
Gaming on Android devices has come a long way in the past several months, but it can be quite difficult to adapt to touch-screen-only gaming and a new app for Android smartphones lets you use your PS3’s controller to play mobile games right on your droid over Bluetooth. Sixaxis Controller is a sort of tweak for Android smartphones that allows you to pair your DualShock 3 controller with your droid to play games that support key bindings and this app required rooted phones. Below is an insert take directly from Dancing Pixel‘s website:
Important – Due to the non-standard protocol that the controllers use to communicate with the host, this application requires root access. Additionally, it is incompatible with most HTC devices and some newer Samsung devices. This is due to the required bluetooth protocol not being implemented on these devices. We are actively looking into a work around, but currently the only solution is to install a custom firmware, such as Cyanogenmod, that supports the required protocols.
Sixaxis Controller is an Android application which allows the Sixaxis and DualShock 3 Playstation controllers to be used as bluetooth input devices on many mobile phones and tablets. This enables the ultimate gaming experience to be had in a completely portable form factor.
Up to four controllers are supported at once, and key mappings are completely configurable, as well as the analog sticks, which are currently emulated as digital key presses.
Sixaxis Controller uses a special Bluetooth protocol which isn’t available on most droids from HTC or some of the latest Samsung phones and the easiest workaround is to install a custom ROM like CyanogenMod which supports the required Bluetooth protocol. If you want to check whether your phone supports Sixaxis Controller, use the Sixaxis Compatibility Checker app from Android Market and if you get an error, it means your phone doesn’t support the said Bluetooth protocol. There is an easy way to ensure your device’s compatibility: grab Sixaxis Compatibility Checker from the Android Market. Once you know whether or not your device is compatible, here are the full instructions:
- Download and install the application from the Android Market. It is highly recommended that you first download the ‘Sixaxis Compatibility Checker’ app to make sure your phone is compatible before purchasing the full application.
- Tap the ‘start’ button and wait for bluetooth to initiate. If you get an ‘Error: Missing required protocol’ message, your device is not supported.
- If not already done, you must manually pair the controller with your phone. This can be done using ‘SixaxisPairTool’, or with ‘MotionInJoy’ or the linux utility ‘sixpair’. Your phones bluetooth address should be shown at the bottom of the main application window and will look something like 1A:3C:13:00:21:C2; you need to enter this number into the ‘SixaxisPairTool’ as shown. This process only needs to be done the first time a controller is used on a different device, so if you only use the controller on one phone, you will only need to do it once.
- Once paired, unplug the USB cable and press the power button on the controller. If successful, the lights on the controller will stop blinking and a single light will remain on.
- If you are running the compatibility checker, and pressing buttons on the controller results in button presses showing up in the app, congratulations, you can now download the full app.
- Tap the ‘Change Input Method’ button and select ‘Sixaxis Controller’. You should now be able to use the controller in any games or applications that support key bindings, such as many emulators.
- Subsequent controllers can be added at any time by pressing their power buttons.
- You can change the fallback input method and key mappings in the applications settings.
You shall now be able to play any games that support key bindings and emulators such as NESoid, PSX4Droid etc. support key bindings, so you can use them to play games on your Android phone with a DualShock 3 controller. If your phone is HDMI ready, you can connect your phone with a supported display to get the ultimate portable gaming experience and the app is $1.73 in the Android Market.
| « Previous
Gears of War 3 Game For Xbox 360
| Next »
Dell Latitude XT3 Tablet PC Now Available At Dell.com