Apple released Mac OS 10.6.8 and its kind of a big deal. Apple is requiring that all Macs have 10.6.8 installed before they can upgrade to Lion and Mac OS 10.7/Lion is scheduled to be released in July as a 4GB download from the Mac App Store. Mac OS X 10.6.8 update brings with it a number of general operating system fixes, including further support for IPv6, improved VPN reliability and removal of known variants of Mac Defender. It also promises to fix a glitch that has Preview randomly shutting down and this update of Mac OS x is ready for download………..
Apple is preparing the ground for its release next month of Mac OS X Lion by releasing Mac OS X 10.6 and said that Mac OS X 10.6.8 brings enhancements to the Mac App Store to get your Mac ready to upgrade to Mac OS X Lion. Aside from preparing users for Mac OS X Lion, Apple also included some other fixes including identifying and removing known versions of the Mac Defender malware. There are improvements in IPv6 and VPN support and fixes for Final Cut Pro, Preview and Xcode. Along with the desktop version of Mac OS X 10.6.8 there is an update for Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server, which includes updates to calendar, directory and mail services. There are security updates for several applications including iTunes, Java, Safari and Mac OS X itself. Apple says that the download size of the desktop Mac OS X 10.6.8 update can vary with users claiming anything between 275MB if they had Mac OS X 10.6.7 installed all the way up to over 1GB.
The update specifically addresses the following issues:
- Enhancements to the Mac App Store to get your Mac ready to upgrade to Mac OS X Lion.
- Resolves an issue that may cause Preview to unexpectedly quit.
- Improves support for IPv6.
- Improves VPN reliability.
- Identifes and removes known variants of MacDefender malware.
- Corrects timezone data in iCal for Lisbon-Portugal.
- Adds the ability to use Kerberos authentication to a Web proxy server.
- Fixes an issue when saving documents from Xcode or TextEdit when using an NFS home directory.
- Fixes an issue when importing certain media files into Final Cut Pro.
- Includes RAW image compatibility for additional digital cameras.
- Addresses an issue in which some OpenType fonts don’t display correctly in certain applications.
- Resolves issues printing from Preview.
- Addresses an issue with PDF files not opening in third-party PDF viewing applications.
- Resolves invalid font errors when printing to PostScript printers.
The update is available via Software Update, but can also be downloaded and applied from the following locations:
- Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo (1.09GB)–For any version of OS X 10.6
- Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update (474.2MB)–Requires OS X 10.6.7
- Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update (474.2 MB)
- Mac OS X 10.6.8 Server Update (542 MB)
- Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo (includes all previous 10.6 updates; 1.09 GB)
- Mac OS X 10.6.8 Server Update Combo (includes all previous 10.6 Server updates; 1.27 GB)
- Server Admin Tools 10.6.8 (recommended for remote administration of Mac OS X Server 10.6.8; 255.9 MB)