The Streak will be available this Friday, August 13th, and $299.99 and a new two-year contract could see you walking out the door with your very own behemoth handset. For $549.99 you can get the Streak commitment-free……
The Dell Streak has found a way to fit your whole world in a 5-inch screen. Its unique size will help people discover new ways to enjoy the web, connect with friends, and navigate their lives.The Dell Streak is available for $299.99 with new two-year AT&T contract†, and $549.99 without. Customers who purchase the Streak, and signed up during the pre-sale program, will receive a free second-day shipping upgrade. Customers who redeem their pre-sale coupon can purchase a Plantronics Bluetooth earpiece for 99 cents while supplies last.
The Dell Streak, a carbon black Android-based tablet with a 5-inch display, is designed to provide an excellent “on-the-go” entertainment, social connection, and navigation experience. The spacious 5-inch screen is ideal for experiencing thousands of Android Market widgets, games and applications, all without squinting or compromising portability. Built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth capability and available 3G connectivity brings easy access for downloading and listening to music, updating social networking status in real-time, and staying connected to friends and family through e-mail, text, IM, and voice calls.
On-the-go students, mobile professionals, and active families will find Streak’s web-browsing capabilities as natural as a laptop. The 5-inch screen is large enough to present Web pages in their natural form, create a comfortable viewing experience, and make turn-by-turn navigation simple. The Dell Streak is powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon solution with integrated 1GHz processor to combine basic functionality and benefits of a laptop in a pocket friendly size.
Dell has priced the Streak at the high end of the Android market, but they believe the 5 inch display is the defining feature and people will pay extra for it. The Streak also features a front facing camera and HDMI out (with dock), which are considered premium features.
While it is being promoted as a tablet, note that you can also call the Streak a HUGE phone. We mean, this thing could make the likes of the Evo 4G and the Droid X look puny. That brings us to the specifications of the device. The most striking factor of the Streak is its massive 5-inch WVGA TFT LCD ‘Gorilla’ glass screen. This one, if you ask us, is THE biggest display on a mobile phone right now (so what if Dell calls this a tablet!). The display supports a resolution of 800×480 pixels and packs in support for multi-touch gestures as well. It is powered by the usual suspect – Qualcomm’s Snapdragon QSD 8250 processor which crunches numbers at 1Ghz. It also boasts of 512MB ROM, 512MB RAM and 2GB MicroSD for System Apps and files.
The Streak will also feature Google Maps with navigation, text-to-voice, and turn-by-turn directions with Street-view. It will also feature WebKit based android browser. Streak also has a 5 megapixel rear-facing camera with dual-LED flash and a front facing camera for video chat. Dell has added integrated real-time support for Facebook and Flickr for uploading videos and photos from the device.
DELL STREAK FEATURES:
* Integrated Google Maps with turn-by-turn navigation, street and satellite views
* A full screen browsing experience with a 5-inch capacitive multi-touch WVGA display
* Easily integrated social media apps: Twitter, Facebook, YouTube
* High resolution 5 MP camera, VGA front facing camera, removable battery, built-in Wi-Fi, 3G and Bluetooth connectivity options
* 2GB* of internal storage provides plenty of space to access and download Google Android Market’s many options
* Packaged with cushions made from 100 percent sustainable, compostable bamboo
DELL STREAK SPECIFICATIONS:
* Android platform complete with Android Market and Dell user interface enhancements
* Powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon solution with integrated 1GHz processor
* 3G + Wi-Fi + Bluetooth
* UMTS / GPRS / EDGE class 12 GSM radio with link speeds of up to 7.2 Mbps*
* 5 MP Autofocus camera with dual LED flash. Easily point, shoot, and upload to YouTube, Flickr, Facebook and more
* User accessible Micro SD expandable memory available up to 32GB*. Store up to 42 movies* or 32,000 photos*, or 16,000 songs* with a 32GB* Micro SD upgrade
Unfortunately, we don’t have any indication that it’ll be launching with anything newer than Android 1.6, so let’s hope that juicy 2.1 update with 720p video capture wastes no time getting rolled out.