Skype and Nokia today jointly announced the release of Skype for Symbian, a Skype client for Nokia smartphones based on the Symbian platform, the world’s most popular smartphone platform.A freely downloadable application that allows you to converse with your Skype-equipped friends over a WiFi or 3G connection.So that might be caused foreshadows death of regular phone calls.
Nokia’s just announced the addition of the online communications client to its Ovi Store, meaning that now more than 200 million users worldwide have access to essentially free calls over their beloved Symbian S60 5th handsets. So why would anybody ever make another cellular call again!
There was a reason to stay loyal to that stale user experience and here it is. There’s not much else to say here, we’re off to sell whatever stock we have in mobile network operators while you should click the source links for the full list of compatible handsets. High fives all around.
Skype for Symbian enables Nokia smartphone users to:
– Make free Skype-to-Skype calls to other Skype users anywhere in the world*
– Save money on calls and texts (SMS) to phones abroad
– Send and receive instant messages to and from individuals or groups
– Share pictures, videos and other files
– Receive calls to their existing online number
– See when Skype contacts are online and available to call or IM
– Easily import names and numbers from the phone’s address book